1. A mix of commercial and government business is good. In fact, most small business federal government contractors who move from commercial to government work, remain in commercial business. They separate government from commercial work in unique cost centers of the company for pricing and cost control purposes, recognizing the market and competitive differences in the two venues.
Cost Center Strategic Planning
WHAT SMALL BUSINESS SHOULD KNOW ABOUT "FEDBIZOPPS.GOV" - THE FEDERAL BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES WEB SITE
4. Industry partners are an excellent way to move into new fields.
Small Business Teaming
7. If your high-end navy IT customer requires support, security or related services, it is likely his or her counterpart in the Department of Agriculture or Health and Human services requires the same expertise. This rule holds true for other services as well.
8. Maintain Your Capability Statement current with evolving trends and your growth. Seek to utilize it as a vital tool in your company marketing program.
9. Preserve your credit rating and your finances in top shape to respond effectively when opportunities arise.